Translate

Monday, September 28, 2009

Im doing my best here! Trying to get Ready for the Soflex Show!

Yes, I am doing my best trying to get ready for the show at Fashion Institute of Technology, hosted by Soflex in New York. The Show is in October which I not so recently realized is right around the corner (uh-oh) There is no way I am going to be able to complete what I had hoped to complete for this show but what I am making is so totally different than what I usually make - I hope it makes up for it! The time in the hospital held me back a little and also I am a little slower than usual making the pieces for lack of strength in my right arm. I am pretty my unable to use my slab roller so pendants are taking a bit longer than usual, but what I do find is that I am making the pendants more detailed..so maybe an injury does have its pluses when it comes to clay & creativity! LOL! Everything about my work this time around seems different. Each piece is more deliberate and some totally freaky...I want to meet YOU, whoever you are that acquires a handful of pendants I made on the night I doubled up my med's by accident..They need a "confident" designer to take them to the next level. ;)

I know many of you that read my blog have asked for custom work in the past OR have asked for me to recreate something for you. If you are that person would you mind sending me an email and reminding me what it is!! Also, if you are interested in a certain type of piece that I have not created until now, please also shoot me an email or comment below.. I am up to my tingling elbows in wet clay and now is the time to tell (remind) me! I was successful in recreating the crescent shaped pendant, used by Janice Dickerson and as seen in Creative Jewelry 2009!! I know a few of you were asking me to make one for ya. They are not exact duplicates, but, I think you will be happy! And I also made a few different versions of this so you will have your pick.

For everyone who has asked about me and how I am feeling.. Thank you so much! I really appreciate all the wonderful well wishes I have received from you. I do finally have a diagnosis, which is Double Crush Syndrome. Articles about this can be found here and here . Basically, I will begin treatment (Oct 21) conservatively with injections in the 2 herniated discs and one partially herniated disc (who knew) so thats c5,c6 and c7.. Since I did not respond well to oral or IV steroids for the problem in the hospital or at home - I am apprehensive but hopeful about the injection(s). I will have one and then another under anesthesia at the hospital a few weeks later, closer to the spinal cord if #1 doesn't do its job. They do not treat the carpal tunnel, as far as I know right now, because the injection to treat the herniated disc, may alleviate the hand pain. These are two unrelated incidents, yet, if you do take the time to read the articles above there is a connection. I am sure sitting around making beads doesn't help.. and I am also pretty sure if I was not making beads right now I would probably feel a heck of a lot better! But then YOU need your beads right? (Hows that for a guilt trip!) Just kidding!

So, I am off to the "studio" which is my dining room table, since my real studio is in the path that leads to my husbands workshop..and he is busy working on finishing my DIY Kitchen Remodel..so even beads are not going to let me stand in his way! Again, since I am in the "creating stage, wet clay stage" Now is the time for your emails, comments and suggestions! I welcome them in regards to shape, colors, you name it!

Til then, I wish you Happy Creating!
Lisa


8 comments:

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

Hey, wonderful lady! I thought I had dibs on those crazy meds pieces??? :pouts: Love you!!!

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

Slow and steady Lisa! What you have made will be wonderfully plenty for the show...

Thanks for the update on your prognosis - I sure hope that the injections make things better for you ASAP!

Think of you often...
~Marsha

mairedodd said...

wow - hope you are feeling better soon! i am intrigued to see what you are making! and do remember, that your beads have great value... the ones that have been more detailed will be noticed as being more time consuming... what a cool show... maybe i can get there ~

Lisa Peters Russ said...

Thank you I will always have crazy pieces for you don't worry! Love you too!

Marsha..Thinking of you as well, Hoping you are comfortable and enjoying Fall with Chloe and your family! I know I always OVER-do for shows..but this time.. hmm, not so sure, Im sure though, everything will be fine!

oooh, how cool it would be to see/meet you in person! That would be great! Im making some different things this time around..I still have a button and a pendant here and if you know for sure if you are going.. I will hand deliver! please let me know!

Mellisa said...

Lisa, I'll be crossing fingers and toes for successful injections for you! Hope you're back to clay slinging form soon :)

TesoriTrovati said...

Lisa, I am sending warm wishes and healthy thoughts your way! Get well now, dammit! Glad to hear that you are back at it, doing what you love and are a genius at! Enjoy the day! Erin

Mary Harding said...

Wishing you great success at your show. You show such courage and good spirit in the face of such physical difficulties. Hope you are feeling better. I am sure all that creating will help you heal.

Unknown said...

What motivates me is when I know that somebody cares about what I have to say. Blogging motivates me... I can easily count what I have done and all.


dsi r4