Translate

Friday, November 13, 2009

LOOKING BACK ON THE LAST FEW MONTHS


I do not blog as much as I would like to and when I do I kind of like the post to be able to last a few weeks because I never know when I am going to do it again. First, I want to thank all of my customers who have been purchasing items lightening fast from my etsy shop. It pleases me so much that you are all interested in what I have been creating.

This morning a customer sent me a lovely email that expressed how much she liked all the pieces she recently bought from me and also asked me about my pain and did it affect the work I had been doing. It something I have been thinking about alot lately as I photograph my pieces and put them up on etsy. Yes, I think my pain really affected my work but in a positive way.

When I first started to lose feeling in my hand the Dr's put me on some really high doses of anti seizure medication. It made me very hyper, though it was supposed to make me drowsy. When I was at the lake I couldn't participate in alot of the things I normally do and I had so much energy so I brought my clay with me to waters edge and carved beads. The first time I didn't have my normal tools so I used an old manicure set I had picked up at a garage sale years prior. When I realized I really didnt want to use a manicure set that I had picked up a garage sale, for obvious reasons..ick - I didn't have the heart to toss it..recycle, recycle..blah, blah, blah.. So there was my set of tools. Hmm, what to make the holes with? Well, I never used those skewers, so perfect tool for bead holes! And off I went a few rocks, seed pods, shells, and leaves later there were these great beads. Each one must have taken forever, but it didn't matter..my hands were not idle so I was happy and I also allowed myself to slow down and just take in the water, the sounds of nature, yet still be with everyone else. I took this home with me. Because of the pain and loss of strength in my arm, the slab roller and any really extreme movements were out of the question. So I really took my time and nurtured each piece. On good days I produced more, on bad days I carved, and carved and carved. I carved the fronts, the backs, places that no one would even look at..but I was diggin it :) When it came time for the Soft Flex Show in NY I had alot of new stuff I was really proud of and alot of pieces that had a really deep emotional connection with me. So yes, without a doubt the pain in my arm has affected my work.. when the pain goes away I know this is the path I want to continue on.

The Silent Title of the work for that show was made up by my husband Hank. He would sit with me as I created & practice his guitar & again while I was glazing. He noticed the change in my work & that I was using glaze as a wash, and sometimes not using glaze at all and said, "It appears as though this time you are letting the clay speak for itself". So the pieces with minimal glaze will now be from a series called "Letting The Clay Speak for Itself" Go Job Hank!

So I am scheduled for the epidural next Friday, The 20th of November and I'm keeping my fingers crossed this one helps me, if only for a little while.. I'll take it! I also urge you to become a fan on my facebook page. I am doing my best to update that page a few times during the day. I will be showcasing customers who use LPA pieces with links to their shops, etc. The link is on the right side of my blog.

Til next time,
Happy creating
Lisa

9 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Lisa, I am so glad to hear that out of something that could be so dark and depressing as the pain that you have had to endure that you could find beauty, and peace, and hope for the future. You create AMAZING things and I think this new direction that you are headed is a good one, creatively and personally. I am excited to work with more of your work because it has a quality that just speaks to me as mysterious and special and not a little bit wild. I am wishing you an end to your pain but a continuation of all that brings you joy.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

mairedodd said...

agreed, these pieces are imbued with the attention and feeling you put into them... it is palpable... hoping the epidural works for you... and that from your injury, your work evolved in a most intimate way...

Bead-Mused said...

I am so glad you have been able to push through the pain and use it as something positive. I love the new works just as much as I love the older works. It's always wonderful to see an artist's work evolve. I continue to think positive thoughts for you, sweetie!

Lisa Peters Russ said...

thank you everyone for such heartfelt comments. I feel very close to you all, especially these last few months and that makes me really happy. Knowing that things I care about are "going to a good home" so to speak..with fabulous and talented designers is something I had always hoped for. The bonus is that not only are so talented but you are thoughtful and caring as well.

Im very lucky, pain and all :)

Barbara Lewis said...

Lisa, Our wonderful writer, Erin, so poetically expressed my feelings that I only wish to say that I hope the epidural works for you next Friday. My sister-in-law received an epidural for neck pain and it permanently ended her pain! I'm glad that you were able to derive some pleasure from your work while at the lake. Being able to slow down and have a connection with the work through every design decision is so satisfying, I'm just sorry that this experience was accompanied by pain and the horrible reaction to the medication. You will be in my prayers. Barbara

Lisa Peters Russ said...

Oh, thank you so much Barbara! Im so touched.. everyone leaves such beautiful messages and comments on my blog. You were correct the time you told me we must be part of the mutual admiration society. I feel the same about your lovely work as well. As for the epidural.. fingers crossed it will work and that I will continue to create as I previously did but this time with a smile and not in pain! Thanks again to you and everyone!

Wolf said...

I love your Work and am proud to own quite a few pieces now as well.

The care and attention you put into each piece really comes through.

Here's hoping that epidural worked and you can get back to doing what you truly love to do even more!

Irene said...

I haven't visited your blog for awhile but I cherish the piece I purchased from you awhile back. So sorry to hear of your medical problems and yet you used it to benefit your creative energy. I'm not sure where to post for the drawing but in answer to your question. I think art is what survives and inspires a civilization to bring out the best. Your art certainly fits those criteria. Wishing you good health in the coming months.

Unknown said...

There are very clear indications both in Ethiopia and Eritrea, as well as in eastern Sudan that this will be a very bad season. It’s the coming season in the next few months that is going to be really crucial to see whether this will materialize...


dsi r4